News


Socso warning to bosses

KUALA LUMPUR: The Social Security Organisation (Socso) will embark on a major operation from March 1 to detect employers who have not registered with it.

About 1,500 Socso officers will conduct door-to-door checks during the one-month operation, dubbed “Ops Kesan”.

“Employers who have yet to register with Socso are urged to do so at any of 46 Socso offices and must pay the Socso contribution for their workers in full before March 1,” chief executive K. Selvarajah said at a press conference here yesterday.

Selvarajah said the number of employers who actively paid Socso contributions for their workers was disappointing, numbering about 340,000 employers with 5.5 million employees.

He said some registered employers did not make the Socso contribution for their workers while others registered only half of their workers.

“Even a small business having only one employee, either on contract or on temporary basis, must register with Socso and pay the monthly contribution,” he added.

Selvarajah said 3,939 employers were slapped with compounds totalling RM2.34mil last year for not registering their businesses with Socso, not registering their workers and not reporting workplace accidents.

He said Socso was also in the process of taking legal action against 669 employers under the Social Security Act 1969.

He added that Socso was developing a system to enable employers and employees to check the status of their Socso contributions online. — Bernama

add